Dispositional Positive Emotion Scale (DPES)
From Stellaretal (Emotion, 2012) :
The Dispositional Positive Emo- tion Scale (DPES) is a well-validated self-report measure of the trait-like tendency to feel several distinct positive emotions includ- ing joy, contentment, pride, love, compassion, amusement, and awe on an enduring, trait-level basis (Shiota, Keltner & John, 2006).
From the appendix at Shiota, Keltner & John (2006, The Journal of Positive Psychology) :
- I often feel bursts of joy.
- I am an intensely cheerful person.
- I am often completely overjoyed when something
- good happens.
- On a typical day, many events make me happy.
- Good things happen to me all the time.
- My life is always improving.
- I am generally a contented person.
- I am at peace with my life.
- When I think about my life I experience a deep feeling of contentment.
- I feel satisfied more often than most people.
- My life is very fulfilling.
- I feel good about myself.
- I am proud of myself and my accomplishments.
- Many people respect me.
- I always stand up for what I believe.
- People usually recognize my authority.
- Other people are generally trustworthy.
- I develop strong feelings of closeness to people easily.
- I find it easy to trust others.
- I can depend on people when I need help.
- People are usually considerate of my needs and feelings.
- I love many people.
- It’s important to take care of people who are vulnerable.
- When I see someone hurt or in need, I feel a powerful urge to take care of them.
- Taking care of others gives me a warm feeling inside.
- I often notice people who need help.
- I am a very compassionate person.
- I find humor in almost everything.
- I really enjoy teasing people I care about.
- I am very easily amused.
- The people around me make a lot of jokes.
- I make jokes about everything.
- I often feel awe.
- I see beauty all around me.
- I feel wonder almost every day.
- I often look for patterns in the objects around me.
- I have many opportunities to see the beauty of nature.
- I seek out experiences that challenge my understanding of the world.